As busy Dallasites, we spend a good part of the year outside enjoying the weather and exploring all that downtown Dallas has to offer, sometimes neglecting to keep a conscience mind on how much we could be spending each trip out. Luckily, Dallas is home to the historic West End district, and within the district are budget-friendly and family-friendly places to eat, shop, and discover for the weekends when you might be stretched thin.
Needing a quiet, romantic date night? How about a family day learning about Dallas and stopping for a quick bite to eat? Get ready to discover your new favorite weekend destination!
Entertainment For Everyone In Downtown Dallas
- Dallas World Aquarium – The World Aquarium attracts visitors and native Texans year-round, with their exhibits of rare and exotic animals, convenient location, and references to ancient history around every corner that leave you coming back for more. Dallas World Aquarium begins at the top of the rainforest exhibit, where exotic birds can be seen. Lounging around are two-toed and three-toed sloths; endangered animals, such as Orinoco crocodiles; giant river otters and several species of monkeys are part of the many conservation projects. Reptiles and amphibians, both of significance to the Maya culture, can be seen throughout the exhibit! The best part? The aquarium is open daily!
- Old Red Museum – The Old Red Museum has been around since 1892, serving Dallas county to inspire and educate visitors about the cultural, economic, political and social history of Dallas. The beautifully restored Old Red Courthouse contains some of Dallas county’s most fascinating historical artifacts. There is a special exhibit gallery located on the first floor, while the second floor of Old Red is filled with exhibits, 41-touch screen computers, an educational learning center and four mini theaters.
- The Sixth Floor Museum At Dealey Plaza – 50 years after the assassination of President John F. Kennedy in downtown Dallas, his legacy lives on at The Sixth Floor Museum at Dealey Plaza. Located in the former Texas School Book Depository, The Sixth Floor Museum presents the social and political landscape of the early 1960’s and chronicles the assassination and its aftermath. If you’re looking to learn more about the history of Dallas and the lasting impacts President Kennedy had upon the city and America, look no further!
Eat Your Way Through The West End
- Y.O. Steakhouse – One of the premiere steakhouses in Dallas, Y.O. Steakhouse has been serving the historic West End district for years, with five-star, affordable cuisine in a casual, uniquely Texan atmosphere! With the selections of steak, filet mignon, wild bill and axis venison, Y.O. Steakhouse is the perfect dinner or date night spot!
- Tutta’s Pizza – Looking for something that will satisfy everyone in your family? Or are you just wanting a classic pizza with a twist? Tutta’s has everything you need and more to wrap up your weekend, all within an affordable price. From their fresh dough, handcrafted drinks, and toppings galore that you might not think about on a pizza, all within a family-friendly open-spaced area, Tutta’s is the way to go!
Pick Up Some Treats For Home
- Wild Bills Western Store – Wild Bill’s Western Store has been sharing the warmth and friendly southern hospitality in which Texans and cowboys have been recognized for over 40 years. Their store is located in downtown Dallas in an old redbrick building built in the 1800’s that still houses the original wood beams and tin ceilings. Shop for fine, quality western products and souvenirs, sit at the antique bar with saddle bar stools and learn about the craft and time spent into making their iconic cowboy boots (that you can get customized!).
- Kokopelli’s Candy/Kiss Bartique – Kokopelli Candy has been part of the Dallas West End historic district for over 20 years. From rich chocolates, handmade waffle cones for ice cream, nostalgic candy and gourmet handmade cookies baked fresh daily. Right next door is Kiss Bartique, which offers a wide range of exclusive apparel, jewelry, bags and accessories for women and men. If you are in the West End, swing by and satisfy your sweet tooth and pick up a hat or two!
Start Your Weekend Off Right In The Dallas West End
Make sure to include the historic West End district when coming up with your weekend plans – from fine dining to shopping, where else would you need to go? Your weekend starts here with us, we’d love to see you around!