Fall is officially here, and with the cooler weather comes the return of college football – a staple in Texas culture! The atmosphere of the historic West End district in downtown Dallas provides everyone, from alumni to the casual fan, the opportunity to see their favorite game any given moment. The Big 12 College Football conference sees a double-header for the Longhorns, after a game against the Oklahoma State University Cowboys – Texas Longhorns vs. Oklahoma University Sooners!
The rivalry between the Longhorns and the Sooners is nothing new to native Texans – last year, the Longhorns shocked the No. 10-ranked Sooners with a 24-17 victory. In the all-time series, Texas holds a 61-44 lead. Catch all the action Saturday, October 8th, at 12 P.M. ET/11 A.M. CT, as the Longhorns take on the Sooners at the Cotton Bowl Stadium in Fair Park, and broadcasted on FOX.
Rivalry Game in the Historic West End
Gearing up for the big game provides natives and visitors with things to do in downtown Dallas, from shops to restaurants in downtown Dallas West End, picking your spot to watch this rivalry game can be pretty simple – if you know where to look…here are a few specials and options exclusively for the big game from some local shops and dining in the West End!
- Hoffbrau Steaks: One of the premiere steakhouses located in the downtown Dallas West End, the Longhorn radio station is excited about partnering with Hoffbrau Steaks to continue the great tradition of live Friday night broadcasts of Texas Longhorn football. The Lone Star Bottle Band will be preforming as well from 8 P.M. to 11:30 P.M. after the game. Experience some of the best dining in downtown Dallas, and cheer on your Longhorns at Hoffbrau Steaks!
- RJ Mexican Cuisine of Dallas: Enjoy all-day drink specials, a full made-from-scratch menu, and watch the game on all their TV’s and big screen Saturday as you cheer on your Longhorns! RJ’s is located in the heart of the historic West End, giving you the chance to explore and shop in downtown Dallas before the game.
- 1001 Wine & Spirits: If you rather stay in for the game, 1001 Wine & Spirits has the perfect tasty beverage! Offering select beers from both Texas and Oklahoma, 1001 Wine & Spirits is just a few minutes walk from downtown Dallas dining and shopping.
- Gators: A unique and family-friendly space in the West End, Gators of downtown Dallas will be offering a watch party Saturday in their downstairs and rooftop patio! Enjoy specials for the whole family, with a selection from Cajun, kids selection, burgers, and Tex-Mex, Gators is a truly unique dining experience in downtown Dallas, perfect for the big game!
- Additionally, The Sixth Floor Museum at Dealey Plaza, a piece of Dallas and American history, is holding College Week the Monday following the Longhorn/Sooners game. College students get $10 discounted admission all week to explore the story of one of the most pivotal points in history, the assassination of President John F. Kennedy in downtown Dallas in 1963. All college students will receive $10 admission all week if they show valid student ID. In addition to discounted admission, students will also receive free research resources and a double expresso coffee for $1.50 all week.
Dallas West End says “Hook ‘Em, Horns!”
How will you be cheering on your Texas Longhorns? Whether you go to one of the many uniquely Texan places in the historic West End of downtown Dallas, or decide to throw a house party that only fans of Texas football could, the first game of fall college football will be memorable. From dining, shopping, free parking, DART access, and hotels in downtown Dallas’ West End, cheering for your Longhorns starts here!